Thursday, June 16, 2011

Author's Stool

My cousin, Maggie, graduated from UNT and I am thrilled to know that there is another teacher in the family! For her graduation present, I made her an author's stool for her future classroom. When a student has published a story, he/she will sit on the author's stool and read the story to the class. My students love this special privilege and I'm sure Mag's future students will too.

This stool was a seven dollar bargain at a garage sale. It was a fun, thoughtful, and inexpensive gift. I am so proud of Ms. Walsh!

I painted the stool with three different shades of blue. Then, I put polyurethane on top of the paint to make it shiny and more durable.

2 comments:

  1. Katie! I was looking at The Somers' blog and noticed the Shing Dig blog on the blogs they follow. I didn't know you had a blog! Thank you for making the stool for Mags - she loves it and I can't wait to see it perched in a corner some where in her classroom. Every time I visit her at work and see that stool I will think of you. You are so creative. Love, Aunt Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE my author's stool!!! It will have a prime place near my board and I am even building my classroom colors around it! (Blue, pink, lime green, and a hint of black). I will be sure and take a picture once it moves in to my actual classroom :)

    ReplyDelete